20 July 2006

the "perfect" man

I'm finding myself comparing every man I meet to one. One who's high up on the pedestal and for no reason at all. See this isn't really the perfect man sitting high upon the untouchable throne. It's actually a complete jackass of a man, at least in reality, but the one I had envisioned, well he's sort of spectacular. I decide d to embrace the twenty-first century dating scene and signed up on Match.com. After a week of searching online men, he emailed me. Perhaps it was the lengthy emails or the originality that yanked me in, completely head over heels. I was floating on cloud nine before I had even seen the guy in flesh. If I hadn't known better, I would swear that someone was finding him all the perfect things to say. Not just general sentiments that would persuade any girl of his greatness but particulars that match me to a tee. I would like to say that it was just my imagination running away with well written sentences and beautiful ideas and contorting them into my own fantasy but I don't believe. On paper, he was perfect.
Upon mentioning my favorite song that I would one day like sung to me, he looked up the lyrics should the occasion call for it. Which was one detail among many. Had he been the person I envisioned, the person I thought he was, he would have been perfect. We finally met in person and had what I considered to be a phenomenal four hour date. Then again, maybe I was still in my fantasy.
Turns out he wasn't quite who I thought he was. Regardless of the abrupt ending, him inquiring as to my future plans only to never include himself in any of them, he still remains on that pedestal. Maybe, just maybe that's not really him up there but a mixture of him and the man I thought he was. My fantasy man.

No comments: