29 June 2006

online dating: helpful or hindering

Say good-bye to those dreaded blind dates that your coupled friends are so fond of setting you up on. No longer do you have to degrade yourself by going to sleazy bars or single events because on-line dating is the new hip way to meet people. Picking your newest Mr./Ms. Wrong is only a simple click away. In fact, you can even be lounging around with curlers in your hair, no make-up on, in ratty pajamas eating a tub of Ben & Jerry’s while you peruse through your latest set of matches. Not only do you get to see what they look like but you get to know a bit about them, like if they’ve been married, have kids, or have a job, before you even have to make the first move. No cheesy pick-up lines needed here. Sounds perfect, right? While you may not have to spend hours getting your hair to do that perfect flip or poke yourself in your eye with not only your eyeliner but also your mascara before trying on a hundred different outfits that you decide have somehow shrunken two sizes overnight, you do, however, have to consider what is wrong with these people. If they were really a “catch” as they claim wouldn’t someone have caught them by now? Why are they really using an on-line dating service?

As a true single girl, I am attempting all means possible at finding Mr. Right or at least my Mr. Right-now so I, of course, have attempted the unthinkable and unmentionable, online dating. Not that I would brag about this to all my friends; in fact, most of us online daters prefer to keep our cyber dates a secret. At first I thought online dating was the best thing since Atkins. Another way to cheat the system. Heck, with Photoshop, I can even make any defect disappear in all my photos, but then again, so can everyone else. Wink after wink, turning into email after email, eventually turning into a filling online black book. That was, until I meet them in person. At least in a bar, whether intoxicated or not, you know what you are getting. No Photoshop there. Sad to say that none of them passed the test. Now it has gotten to the point where I’m afraid to even check to see who “winked” at me because it’s gone so far downhill. The guys I want send me the generic “not interested” emails and the guys I wouldn’t even set my awful cousin, Colleen, up with are winking at me. Even worse is the fact that when I do stumble across an attractive man all I can now do is try to figure out his big flaw. Does he chew like a cow, spend more time looking in the mirror than I do, sleep with the light on, have foul smelling breath or some other repulsive habit?

Recently, the online dating service I use began allowing you to see all the people who have viewed your profile. Genius, some would say. Me, I think it’s driving me further into dating exile. Now I can see all the guys who looked at my profile and deemed me unworthy. I get to see all the hotties I “winked” at who don’t even to bother with the “I am not interested” generic email. Seriously, all you have to do is click a box. It’s not like they even have to type it. I’m now getting rejected by people who haven’t even met me. Just the thought sends them running for the hills. Ouch! When did online dating get to be more depressing than the real thing? And who are all these so-called people that actually found “love” online?

No comments: