20 December 2006

dating in the real world

Within the past few years, I've learned some harsh lessons in the dating arena. The most damaging was dating in the real world is NOTHING like the dating portrayed on hit tv shows like "SATC" and "Friends." At least not for us average joes. I'm sure there are plenty of hot women like Carrie Bradshaw or men like Joey Tribiani who never get rejected but most of us discover, usually quite painfully, that this is certainly not the case when dating in the real world.
Lately, and by lately I mean the past 2 years, I've been going on a string of bad dates. Luckily and somewhat pathetically, they have never made it to date number two. A record I might add, but a sad one to boot. Throughout this course of never-ending bad first dates, I have recognized a certain trend in the male species. It is as if they have all read from the same incredibly bad 1st date book. Each one of them, no matter how awful or how great the date always seemed to end the date in the same manner: "I had a great time. Let's do this again." Of course they weren't all verbatim but the message was essentially the same. My question is this: if you never have any intention of seeing the girl again why do you leave the date with a line clearly signifying that you would like to see them again?
What is wrong with saying: I had a great time. Goodnight. Or while I had a great time, I just don't see this really evolving into anything. Seriously. It works as a great closure and doesn't leave your date embarassing herself at work the following day when she tells all her co-workers how incredible the date was only to end up feeling awkward a week later when they all ask how date #2 went and of course, there was no date #2 because you never called her nor did you ever intend to after date #1.
What is wrong with honesty? Yes, it will be a bit of an ego sting at first but in the long run you are doing the person a favor by not wasting their time the following days when they are left wondering whether you actually will call or not. And then if you don't, they are left pondering what they did wrong and what they need to improve upon for their next first date. Are men so afraid of women that they can't give them the decent courtesy of simply saying "I'm just not interested." Why lead us on? Why let us believe that you really would like to see us again when you have no intention to? I actually had one guy inquire so far as to what my weekend plans were that weekend and then upon hearing them suggested possibly getting together that Sat. night only to never hear from him again.
When did dating become such an art of deception and manipulation?

No comments: